Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Personal Accountability

I am pleased to have the opportunity to gain some support in others trying to be healthy. As I post I will always try to be as honest and open as I can tolerate. Now for it.
I have always carried extra pounds ever since I was a child, but it never seemed to hold me back in any real sense now that I look back upon that time. I dated pretty girls, had many friends, and was always involved in athletics. I married a very special woman and we shared and still hope to attain common goals in life. We also had a very active life. How could that change?
After a couple of very bad breaks, illness and loss of family. I have managed to go from being around 20-30 pounds overweight, and comfortable with it, to over 100 lbs overweight & miserable. I have only one thing I can really attribute it to, and that is that I am addicted to food and use it as a way of escape when I experience certain triggers in my life. Up until a year ago I would say I was like a junky getting a daily fix, no triggers required. I would eat just cause it felt good to do so. I now realize that I was feeding the demon that was tormenting me. I don't know exactly when the instance occurred, but somethings or rather some people have spurred my want for change. Family. My wife and family are the most important things in my life. I want to be able to enjoy the time I have with them without being uncomfortable or self-conscious. I think this blog will help.
I intend to use a food journal as a way to track my attempt to limit my calories. I will also do daily exercise with out overdoing it and causing myself injury. Each week I hope to post with the calorie count for the week and an account of exercise. I am going to use clothing sizes as my benchmarks for loss, but not set a ultimate goal. I just want to go shopping in my closet.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I am so glad we are doing this together. I want to be healthy and I want to do it in a way that makes me proud.